NATIONAL CERTIFICATE (VOCATIONAL)
PRE-VOCATIONAL LEARING PROGRAMME
|PRE-VOCATIONAL LEARING PROGRAMME (PLP)||
CENTRE OF SPECIALISATION (COS)
Centre of Specialisation (COS) is a national program aimed at producing:
- A skilled and capable workforce to support inclusive economic growth
- Increased availability of intermediate-level technical skills
- Increased delivery of qualified artisans in 13 priority trades
Vuselela TVET College specialises in the BRICKLAYING TRADE which is offered at Jouberton Campus.
The Centres of Specialisation Programme is a Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) initiative designed to meet two objectives simultaneously:
Firstly to address the demand for priority trades needed for the implementation of government’s National Development Plan in general and its National Infrastructure Plan more particularly;
And secondly to contribute towards the building of the capacity of its public Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) College system to deliver trade qualifications with employer partners.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Dual system apprenticeship that combine:
- Technical education at a TVET College
- Lots of authentic work experience in a single integrated learning program
- Improved capacity of public TVET Colleges to train in skills in demand by industry
…with employers in the drivers’ seat!
WHO IS INVOLVED?
It’s a partnership between the National Department of Higher Education and Training and Business Associations.
3 year programme
Applications are done through employers
- Occupational Certificate: Early Child Development Level 4
- National Certificate: Early Child Development Level 4
- Higher Certificate: Early Child Development Level 5
- National Certificate: Wholesale & Retail Operations NQF 2
- National Certificate: Wholesale & Retail Merchandising Operations NQF 2
- National Certificate: Wholesale & Retail Chain Store Operations NQF 2
- National Certificate: Wholesale & Retail Helpdesk Operations NQF 2
- National Certificate: End User Computing Level 3
- FECT: Information Technology Technical Support Level 4
- FECT: Information Technology: Systems Development Level 4
- FECT: Community Development Management Level 4
- FECT: School Business Administration Level 4
- Grade 12 certificate
- Equivalent NQF Level 4 Certificate
- 80% of females
- 70% of youth below 35 years
- 30% may be above 35 years
- As and when learnerships are available and funded by Seta.
DURATION OF QUALIFICATION
- All learnerships vary in duration due to different credits allocated i.e. (6 months & 12 months)
Various certificates are then awarded on successful completion of the learnership programme, which consist of theory & practical.
Fitter and Turner
N2 certificate including the four relevant subjects of maths, engineering science, trade theory and a fourth subject as required by the trade; or
Technical trade theory programs quality assured by a SETA deemed to be equivalent to NQF Level 3; or
Relevant Engineering NCV Certificate with seven subjects at NQF Level 3;
Between 3 to 4 years depending on the trade
A candidate must be contracted to an employer/host employer
ARPL-Artisan Recognition of Prior Learning
7-Steps to becoming an Artisan:
Step 1: Career Development
Step 2: Learner Contracting
Step 3: Knowledge, Practical and Workplace Training
Step 4: Artisan Recognition of Prior Learning (ARPL)
Step 5: Trade Testing
Step 6: Certification
Step 7: Quality Assurance